Thank you for your interest in volunteering for SMARAS. We are an all-volunteer non- profit organization dedicated to the placement of homeless and unwanted cats and dogs into suitable permanent loving homes through adoption.
If you have any questions or want to learn more about our volunteer opportunities, please call us at
952-368-PAWS (7297). You may leave a message 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A representative will return your call.
Low: No specific time commitment
Medium: Commitment needed for specific dates and times
High: A fundamental part of the day to day operations
Commitment Level: High
- This volunteer answers the cat line daily, and forwards calls to the Cat Coordinator of cats that are good candidates for our program.
- Makes calls to adopters following adoption to ensure cat is doing well in the new home.
- Contacts adopters who are required to have the cat spayed/neutered by a certain date to ensure that was done.
- This person represents SMARAS and should be personable and able to deal with the public in a professional manner.
Commitment Level: Medium
- This volunteer is responsible for maintaining the adoption center and our relationship at Petsmart.
- This person deals directly with PetSmart and must represent SMARAS in a professional manner.
Adoption Day Transporter / Handler
Commitment Level: Low
- This position transports pets available for adoption to Adoption Days.
- Leashes for dogs and carriers for cats are provided.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Picks up the pet at veterinarian clinic or foster home the day of the event.
- Stays with pet at Adoption Day and supervises that pet.
- Returns pet to pick up site if not adopted.